Hindi Diwas 2022: September 14 is observed as Hindi Diwas every year. Hindi is not just a language but it is a symbol of national identity for over 130-crore Indians. It was on September 14, 1950 when Hindi became the official language of India. “The official language of the Union shall be Hindi in the Devanagari script,” according to Article 343 of the Constitution. Since then, September 14 is observed as Hindi Diwas in India.
On the occasion of Hindi Diwas, the Centre and state governments, schools, colleges and other institutions organise events like essay writing, poem writing, speech competition, drawing and more. Several government departments also organise programmes. Besides, Indian embassies host events and contests.
Hindi Diwas is celebrated for a week which is known as Hindi Pakhwasda.
Hindi Diwas 2022: Interesting and Lesser Known Facts About Hindi Language
1. Bihar became the first state in India to adopt Hindi as its official state language. It replaced Urdu with Hindi in 1881. Following this, Hindi also became the official language of other states, including Uttar Pradesh, Haryana & Rajasthan among others.
2. Hindi is the fourth most spoken language in the world after Mandarin Chinese, Spanish and English. Hindi is also spoken in countries Mauritius, Fiji, Suriname, Guyana, Trinidad and Tobago, Nepal.
3. English words like Avatar, Jungle, Guru, Karma, Mantra, Yoga, Guru, Bungalow, Loot, Pajamas, Shampoo, Thug and many more are borrowed from Hindi.
4. Letters of Hindi alphabet have their own independent and distinct sound.
5. Hindi got its name from the Persian word Hind meaning ‘land of the Indus River’.
The provisions related to the Hindi language are regulated by the Central Hindi Directorate, Government of India.
World Hindi Day and Hindi Diwas Hindi Day – Difference
World Hindi Day is celebrated on January 10 to promote the language at the international level while Hindi Diwas is celebrated when the constituent Assembly declared Hindi as the official language of India.