In good news for iPhone users in India, the Meta-owned messaging application WhatsApp and the global technology company Apple have announced support for porting data from Android to iOS. According to the company, ‘Move to iOS’ app will now include an option to include WhatsApp data when a user is making the switch.
“We’re adding to WhatsApp the ability to securely switch between phones and transfer your chat history, photos, videos, and voice messages between Android and iPhone while maintaining end-to-end encryption. This is a top requested feature. We launched the ability switch from iPhone–>Android last year, and now adding Android–>iPhone as well,” Mark Zuckerberg, Founder & CEO, Meta, said in a statement.
The ability to transfer the data will be included in Apple’s ‘Move to iOS’ app. It is available on the Google Play Store. The option will be available when your arei setting up a new iPhone using the app. According to Apple, Android users will need to be on a minimum of Android 5.0 and above for this option to show. Apple iOS users will need to be on iOS 15.5 and above.
How to download the Move to iOS app
Follow these steps on your Android device
– Download the Move to iOS installer:
– Use your device’s file browser to find the Move to iOS installer with filename ending in .apk. On many devices, you’ll find this .apk file in a downloads folder.
– Tap the file to install it.
– If an alert says to change your security settings to let you install from unknown sources, follow the onscreen steps. After you change your settings, you might need to tap a back button to return to the file browser. Then you’ll be able to install the .apk file.
How to transfer data
– On your Android device, make sure that Wi-Fi is turned on.
– Plug your new iOS device and your Android device into power.
– Make sure that the content you’re moving, including what’s on your external Micro SD card, will fit on your new iOS device
– If you want to transfer your Chrome bookmarks, update to the latest version of Chrome on your Android device.
Transfer from Android to iPhone
– Open the Move to iOS app on your Android phone and follow the on-screen prompts.
– A code will be displayed on your iPhone. When prompted, enter the code on your Android phone.
– Tap Continue and follow the on-screen prompts.
– Select WhatsApp on the Transfer Data screen.
– Tap START on your Android phone, and wait for WhatsApp to prepare the data for export. You’ll be signed out from your Android phone once the data is prepared.
– Tap NEXT to return to the Move to iOS app.
– Tap CONTINUE to transfer the data from your Android phone to your iPhone and wait for Move to iOS to confirm the transfer is complete.