World Lung Cancer Day 2022: Cancer is a generic term for a large group of diseases that can affect any part of the body. One defining feature of cancer is the rapid creation of abnormal cells that grow beyond their usual boundaries, and which can then invade adjoining parts of the body and spread to other organs; the latter process is referred to as metastasis. Widespread metastases are the primary cause of death from cancer.
In 2020, around 2.1 million lung cancer cases were diagnosed worldwide, according to the WHO.
What is lung cancer?
There are two main types of lung carcinoma — small-cell lung cancer (SCLC) and non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC), depending on how they appear under a microscope.
Cancer early detection
Cancer mortality is reduced when cases are detected and treated early. There are two components of early detection: early diagnosis and screening.
Cancer risk can be reduced by:
- Not using tobacco
- Maintaining a healthy body weight
- Eating a healthy diet, including fruit and vegetables;]
- Doing physical activity on a regular basis
- Avoiding or reducing consumption of alcohol
- Getting vaccinated against HPV and hepatitis B if you belong to a group for which vaccination is recommended;
- Avoiding ultraviolet radiation exposure (which primarily results from exposure to the sun and artificial tanning devices) and/or using sun protection measures;
- Ensuring safe and appropriate use of radiation in health care (for diagnostic and therapeutic purposes);
- Minimizing occupational exposure to ionizing radiation
Treatment of lung cancer:
The treatment of lung cancer depends on the stage of cancer that’s detected in an individual body and how far the illness has damaged blood vessels, lymph, and nodes.
- Targeted therapy
- Radiation therapy
Get Latest Business News, Stock Market Updates and Videos; Check your tax outgo through Income Tax Calculator and save money through our Personal Finance coverage. Check Business Breaking News Live on Zee Business Twitter and Facebook. Subscribe on YouTube.